Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Eye Candy From A “Rare Bird”

As you know from my previous post my husband and I recently took a trip through Arkansas enjoying the beautiful scenery and stopping at every flea market, antique, and resale shop we saw. What fun we had!

Saturday we spent the night just north of Little Rock on Hwy. 65. We planned to get up Sunday morning and start up Hwy. 65 because it is famous for all the flea markets and antique shops lining the way almost to Missouri.

Sunday morning we set out about 8:30 just to realize none of the shops opened until 10:00. LOL
No worries though there were plenty of garage sales going on to keep us busy for awhile. At about ten we pulled back up to Hwy 65 after chasing down another yard sale and while waiting to enter the highway I looked across the road and almost yelled at William  “No, not right! Left! Left!”I had seen a gentleman opening an antique shop across the way and I could tell this was going to be a great shop from just what I could see outside!

The name on the sign was “Rara Avis” The Rare Bird. 

outsideshop

This is what greeted us as we pulled in along with one of the owners Tom Jones. He told me that The Rare Bird was a family business. He repaired damaged furniture and made unique items from salvage while his son Eric, daughter Lisa, and wife Carmelita did all the painting and helped run the business.


outsidebeds

We wandered around outside as Tom opened everything up and prepared for business. My mouth was watering at all the lovely painted furniture out front and on the carport I couldn’t wait to get inside.


chairs

Just look at all the stacks of lovely painted chairs and beds.  You can’t see half of it in this picture!

On the carport were more goodies.


greenscreendoor


Like this old door with chicken wire I could just see it in an office for notes, mail, etc…or in a child’s room with all their art hanging on it. Hey, look at that blue and white  cabinet hiding back there. Also, a matching green cupboard or pie safe also with chicken wire! Love it!


greenscreencabinet


I love this pale green don’t you? Check out the matching shutters.
Across from this was a lovely distressed table and chairs. Great for a dining room or eat in kitchen.


bluewhitetable

And folks we’re still outside! Let’s go in. Want to? Winking smile





whitesideboard


The Rare Bird is situated in what was a former brick home right on Hwy. 65 North across from Jakes Fireworks between Conway and Pickles Gap, Arkansas. Yes, that’s really the name of the town Pickles Gap. In love
This buffet, at the time, was what greeted you when you entered the front door. Now I’ll just let you enjoy the eye candy as I take you through the shop.


multidrawerchest


bluedresser


Love this vintage, blue, water fall dresser.

pinkbuffet


Sigh. I know, I know I’m suppose to be quiet while you enjoy I just can’t help it. Open-mouthed smile



graywasheddresser

reddresser




waterfallendtables


whitegreenendtab


yellowpiesafe


You’re drooling aren’t you I felt something wet! Surprised smile

yellowwhendtab


Eric Jones is well known artist in the area mostly for his “chard” art he has these examples in front of the shop.

outsideart


Notice the art panels with the art made with chards of pottery, glass, etc…thus it is called Chard Art.  Eric provided these panels to Chris Olsen, a well known landscaper and gardener,  and helped him win the area gardening/landscaping award. Sorry I did not catch the name of the competition.

Eric has also been on KTHB, Channel 11 Little Rock, not just exhibiting his art but demonstrating how he achieves it. He also has some lovely painted art work to sell.

If you are ever headed up Hwy. 65 in Arkansas be sure to stop in and visit with the Jones family you won’t meet any nicer people and not only will you find gorgeous antiques and vintage painted pieces, but artwork, pottery, recycled pieces, vintage home décor items, and much more.

Can’t wait? Check out their Facebook page here. Tom will be glad to answer any questions you might have or he’ll be glad to just visit. You can e-mail him at tomjones6630@yahoo.com

Well I hope you enjoyed the tour. As soon as I saw this shop I knew I had to share it with ya’ll. ‘Til next time happy painting.



P. S. I was not compensated in any way to share this business with you. Everything I have written is strictly my own opinion and not influenced by anyone else.

2 comments:

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

I did enjoy the tour! Their shop looks like heaven for the shabby cottage chic lover. What wonderful pieces to choose from. I wouldn't know where to start.

hugs
Sissie

Erin of Salvaged Whimsy said...

Pickles Gap, really? That's one I've not heard before! That shop was fantastic...I love all the great range of colors they use. thanks for sharing pictures. Also - thanks for checking my booth and the kind comment. It really means a lot to me since you have experience with running a booth. Take care -

Total Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...